Mombaroccio – Sanctuary, Convent and Museum of the Beato Santo (Blessed Saint)

Not far from the town of Mombaroccio, protected by a thick forest of oaks, maples, chestnuts and many other species of trees belonging to the Mediterranean vegetation,  stands the architectural complex dedicated to Beato Santo (Blessed Saint), made up of the Church, Convent (13th  century) and Cloister (14th  century) with an austere round arched four-sided portico of remarkable interest. The Church contains, along with various paintings and frescoes, the beautiful crucifix (tempera on panel) assigned by Serra to the "Scuola Sienese" (School of Siena) of the  15th  century.  The body  of the  Blessed  is placed in an eighteenth-century urn made of gilded wood.  The convent suffered, over the time, the Napoleonic and the Savoy suppression (1810 and 1862) . Only in 1908 the Friars were able to return there to make it an important centre for religious and social activity. The monastery was first founded by the Franciscans in the Diocese of Pesaro; it seems that it was erected in 1223 when San Francesco was still alive. Only two-hundred years later, in 1423, it took the name of Blessed Saint,  because the Blessed Saint (Giansante) Biancorsini  - who was born in Montefabbri Colbordolo in 1343 -  had lived there since 1362, and died in 1394.  During the World War II about three hundred people found refuge there, including many Jews who escaped from the Nazi deportations. From inside the cloister you enter the hall of the Art Gallery - Museum, which houses masterpieces of different cultures and  backgrounds: from the "Altarpiece" by Zanino di Pietro (1369 - 1406) to the "Madonna of Humble" by Andrea di Bartolo, to 'The Meeting of San Giovanni and Sant’Anna," a painting dating back to  the second half of the 15th  century. The Shrine of the Blessed Saint is continuously visited by pilgrims.

Address: Via Passo 28
City: Mombaroccio
Phone: +39 0721 471122
Fax: +39 0721 470335
Web site:

Mombaroccio – Sanctuary, Convent and Museum of the Beato Santo (Blessed Saint)

Via Passo, 28
Mombaroccio (PU)
0721 471122 0721 470335

OPENING TIME: Masses celebration: During the Summer (non-working days) 7:30 a.m. -9:00a.m. -11:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. -6:30 p.m.; In Winter 7:30 a.m. -9:00a.m. -11:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.- 5:30 p.m.

Belongs to: Shrines
Recommended for: Culture

The Attractions of Mombaroccio

 Attraction location