The abbey is in Amandola, at the feet of the Amandola Mount, 850 meters above the sea level, in the Sibillini mountains.
It’s a Benedictine abbey, originally dedicated only to S. Anastasio, probably before the year 1000; a document mentioned by Leopardi but never recovered attested King Liutprando’s (713-744) donation of lands to the convent. The first official records date from 1044. The building underwent substantial changes starting from 1295 until the 15th century. Of the original structure only the right wing remains, where several arches belonging to the cloister are visible, as well as some fragments of the rectangular apse. Apart from these original elements, the building became smaller and shorter and its principal axis was inverted, so that the raised entrance was placed in the rectangular apse. In 1461, the bell tower was rebuilt at the base of the original entrance.
The interior is made up of a single nave with a trussed ceiling, and has a staircase that joins the nave with the raised presbytery (as in the other abbeys of that period); on the side a corridor leads to the crypt. The crypt has a single nave, supported by a single central pillar, and is lit by single lancet windows set into the side walls of the staircase.
OPENING TIME: Chiamare il comune al 0736.84071
Amandola - Abbey of Ss. Ruffino e Vitale, Amandola - Casalicchio, Amandola - Visitors Center "Fillide"
Flavors and Craft:
Amandola – The Carnival of “li Paniccià”, Amandola - White Truffle Festival in Amandola
A journey between knowledge and meditation
Spirituality and Meditation
The hospitality is here
Rolling Hills and Ancient Villages