Corridonia changed its name several times in the past. It was called Mont'Olmo, which comes from the name of a centuries-old elm tree which has dominated the highest part of the town since the beginning of the XIX century and also Pausula in Roman times. Nowadays it's named after Filippo Corridori, a trade unionist who was born here and died in the Carso area in 1915.
Today the town relies on craftsmen and industrialists, particularly flourishing are the shoemaking, carpentry and the building trade industries. Despite this recent development of a thriving industrial activity of small and medium companies, Corridonia preserves beautiful traces of its past in its churches in the Romanesque-Gothic style and in its Picture Gallery.
Its historical centre boasts wonderful examples of sacred architecture: the 11th C. church of San Francesco; the Church of Saints Peter and Paul, dating from before the 13th C. and rebuilt in the 18th C. by Giuseppe Valadier; the convent-church of Sant'Agostino, built in 1346, which houses valuable paintings; the abbey of San Claudio al Chienti, built around the 7th C. on the ruins of a Roman villa and later restored in the 13th C. and, among the town's gates, Porta Santa Croce which has maintained its medieval origins.
Theatre performances are held at the historic theatre Gian Battista Velluti, whose elliptical shape guarantees good acoustics. The theatre has been completely renovated; to the original Baroque style agreeably contrasts a fresco in Liberty style painted on the roof by Sigismondo Martini.
Several museums can be visited in Corridonia: the museum “Filippo Corridoni” is dedicated to a trade unionist and soldier who died in the First World War after which the town is named; the town picture – gallery in the church of St. Francesco; the Town Museum and collection of sacred art inside Palazzo Persichetti – Ugolini; the parish picture- gallery Chiesa SS. Pietro, Paolo e Donato where particularly interesting are a polyptych by Antonio and Bartolomeo Vivarini and a wonderful painting representing a “Madonna with Child” by Carlo Crivelli.
Among the main events of the city of Corridonia is to be mentioned the historical re-enactment "Contest of the Margutta", which is held the first week of September.
The historic center, the monuments and the museums of the town are partially accessible. For information please write to Toll-free Number Marche Tourism (firstname.lastname@example.org) or contact the phone numbers listed below.