Sarnano - Abbey of St. Maria and St, Biagio

The Abbey of Santa Maria and San Biagio, originally known as Santa Maria between the streams ( "inter rivoira"), since it is located between the Tenna and Tennacola, was founded in 1030, consecrated in 1059 and later dedicated to San Biagio in the 15th century. It stands isolated in a green valley near Piobbico. The church and a nearby farmhouse are the only remaining parts of the former monastery. The orientation of the abbey church is towards east-west ; it has a rectangular apse, the presbytery is raised above the tripartite crypt with two rows of four columns; above the altar is the statue of San Biagio. On the apse and along the right wall you can admire  frescoed panels depicting saints and an "Adoration of the Magi" attributed to two different artists of the first half of the fifteenth century: Giovanni di Corraduccio and Matteo da Gualdo. The crypt, the only fully preserved part of the original building, has three naves, two of which are octagonal.

Due to the earthquake occurred in 2016, the abbey is currently closed. For further information please write to

Sarnano - Abbey of St. Maria and St, Biagio

Loc. Abbadia di Piobbico
Sarnano (MC)

OPENING TIME: The abbey is temporarily closed.

Recommended for: Culture

The Attractions of Sarnano

 Attraction location

Itineraries to visit Sarnano