The Hermitage of Monte Giove
rise up on a top of hill of the same name (223 m.), about two miles from Fano
city centre; it was built in the first two decades of the 17th century by Camaldolese Congregation of Monte Corona. The convent was completed in 1627, thanks to many benefactors such as the municipality of Fano. The Hermitage soon gained popularity and was visited by the Queen Cristina Alessandra Maria of Sweden in 1657. In 1741, due to the instability of the land, the church was rebuilt, under the project of architect Gian Francesco Buonamici.
The present church
, dedicated to the Saviour
, is a typically eighteenth century church with one nave, decorated with frescoes and different paintings. One of the chapels was decorated by Tarcisio Generali, who was a Camaldolese monk and talented artist. In the crypt there's the "Trasfigurazione", a terracotta work made by the Camaldolese monk Salvatore Frigerio.
The Hermitage, currently inhabited by seven monks and a nun, features a library with 1,000 volumes, a sacristy boasting original 18th century furniture, a pharmacy and a guest house, which can accommodate up to 30 people, in single and double rooms, for a maximum stay of one week. During the year there are religious meetings and study days on theology.
The Hermitage of Monte Giove joins the projects the Monasteries of the Marche