Ascoli Piceno - Bridges along the Via Salaria

The bridge over the Garriffo stream at Acquasanta Terme was one of the first bridges built along the Via Salaria (the old Consular road used to transport salt, which linked Rome to the Adriatic Sea) and it allows to enter Acquasanta Terme. The original structure, dating back to the Augustan period, was made of travertine and has one arch 10.50 meter long and 3.40 meter wide. In the first half of the 19th century, a neoclassical six-arch viaduct made by the engineer Gabriele Gabrielli (1809-1850) was built over the old structure of the bridge.

The Cecco Bridge, dating back to the Republican age, is located over the Castellano river in Ascoli Piceno. According to a legend, the bridge was built in one night by the famous scholar and astrologer Cecco D’Ascoli, helped by the Devil. The two-arch structure was made of ashlars. The bridge was destroyed during the Second World War and it was rebuilt in 1971 using the original material.

The roman Arli Bridge, also called the Old Bridge, dates back to 1580 when it was rebuilt after a flood of the Tronto river destroyed the entire structure. Nowadays, it is only possible to see a block of tuff stone and the basis of a pier.

The Augustan Bridge of Porta Cappuccina over the Tronto river is one the largest Roman bridges (more than 22 meter wide) and one of the most representative of the Roman construction technique. The structure, was made using the opus quadratum technique in travertine. Over the years, the bridge was restored several times, the last one was in 1938. The one-arch building is 22 meter wide, and 62 meter long, and it is made of pillars leaning against the rock. The bridge is nowadays accessible from the inside through a corridor and it links the city centre to the Porta Cappuccina.


The Attractions of Ascoli Piceno

 Attraction location

Itineraries to visit Ascoli Piceno