Rosso Conero DOC

This is the appellation that expresses the area of Ancona, capital of the Marche region. To make Rosso Conero, winemakers use 85% Montepulciano grapes which thrive in their natural habitat here, with other nonaromatic red grapes blended in to make up not more than the remaining 15%. A year after harvesting, Rosso Conero, which contains a fair share of tannins, pairs very well with succulent, fragrant food. When it has aged and become somewhat softer, it goes well with stuffed pastas and pasta seasoned with tomato-based sauces. In the Doric city of Ancona, Rosso Conero is often paired with “stoccafisso all’anconitana”, a local dish based on cod or stockfish. The area where the grapes grow is located on the Conero headlands, southeast of Ancona, more precisely, in the areas around Ancona, Offagna, Camerano,Sirolo, Numana and parts of Castelfidardo and Osimo. The unique climatic conditions with excellent sun exposure and sea breezes not to mention the soils which are mainly chalky clay with low fertility, allow the grapes to mature only when the numbers of bunches are limited on the vines.

The Attractions of Ancona

 Attraction location

Ancona things to Watch

Discover the attraction Ancona, the Cardeto Park

Ancona, the Cardeto Park

The real green lung of the town centre of Ancona is the lush Cardeto Park, which extends over the Cappuccini and Cardeto hills and represents a destination for...

Discover the attraction Ancona - Vanvitelli’s Bulk, alias “Leper hospital”

Ancona - Vanvitelli’s Bulk, alias “Leper hospital”

The pentagonal structure, designed by the papal architect Luigi Vanvitelli, is placed into the inner part of Ancona’s natural harbour in a strategic and...

Discover the attraction Ancona - Merchants’ Loggia – Great Hall and “Tibaldi” Hall

Ancona - Merchants’ Loggia – Great Hall and “Tibaldi” Hall

Loggia dei Mercanti is an emblem of the merchant spirit of Ancona. Erected in the heart of the city, close to the port, it can hardly be unnoticed, impressive...

Discover the attraction Ancona - The ancient port

Ancona - The ancient port

The Dori founded the city of Ancona in 387 a.c.; they settled here because of the possibilities that the natural harbor offered. The coast forms an elbow, from...

Discover the attraction Ancona  - Pinguino Dive Club

Ancona - Pinguino Dive Club

The Pinguino Dive Club organizes diving courses for groups and individuals.Thanks to SSI international teaching, it provides top quality didactic materials for...

Discover the attraction Ancona - Church of San Domenico

Ancona - Church of San Domenico

The Church of San Domenico was built between 1765 and 1788 by the Roman architect Carlo Marchionni. The present Church was built on the site of an old medieval...